It’s November, which means it’s time for bonding with family and friends and thinking about all the things that make you feel the most grateful. If you’re invited to celebrate Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving at someone else’s home this year, don’t forget to show them your gratitude with a hostess gift. At Shotwell Floral, serving Fargo and the surrounding areas, our florists compiled a list of thoughtful and creative gift ideas that are sure to please any host.
Creative Gifts to Please Any Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving Host
A host or hostess gift is the politest way to thank your friend or family member for their hospitality. You should always bring a gift, even if it’s a potluck-style meal. It still takes a lot of work to plan and organize an event, in addition to everything that goes into preparing one’s house for guests. Say thanks with a thoughtful gift.
Friendsgiving is similar to a Thanksgiving celebration, but it’s for buddies only. Plan your celebration for a day when all your pals are free, like the Wednesday before or after Thanksgiving. Since Friendsgiving is less formal, fun is always on the menu. Feel free to get creative when choosing a gift for your hostess.
- Bath bombs to help your friend unwind after hosting
- A game to play after dinner
- A set of kitschy oven mitts
- Comical fridge magnets
- A fresh yoga matt to encourage a healthy holiday season
- Fuzzy socks for extra warm toes
- A pack of party poppers
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Whether you’ll be meeting your significant other’s family for the first time on Thanksgiving or have known them for years, you shouldn’t show up to your in-laws empty-handed. They’re inviting you into their home, family, and holiday traditions. Be sure you show them your sincere gratitude for their hospitality with a thoughtfully chosen gift.
- An elegant floral centerpiece in colors of the autumn sunset
- Whiskey stones and a bottle of locally distilled spirits
- High-quality serving spoons that are always appreciated at Thanksgiving dinner
- A stylish cheeseboard with knives, spreaders, and cheese markers
- A sleek essential oil diffuser with a pleasant holiday scent
- A box of gourmet macarons or chocolates
- A nice bottle of wine with a new opener, aerator, or set of wine glass charms
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
If you’re planning to spend Thanksgiving with your family, you should still bring a host gift to show how much you appreciate your family. Choose something that your parents or grandparents can enjoy after the holiday or something that everyone can enjoy on Thanksgiving Day.
- A festive floral centerpiece or bouquet
- Sparkling cider, so everyone has something fancy to sip
- Gourmet coffee to brew after dinner
- A kids’ activity, like a not-too-messy craft project
- Hydrating hand soap to prevent the spread of holiday germs
- A set of cookie cutters in festive shapes
- New toys to occupy the household pets
The No-Fail Host Gift for Anyone on Thanksgiving
If you’re still not sure what to get for your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving host, we recommend selecting a potted plant or floral arrangement. Nature never goes out of style, and these gifts are appropriate for any host or hostess. If you decide to bring flowers, we recommend purchasing an arrangement that’s trimmed and all ready to go. Wrapped bouquets of freshly cut flowers need to be trimmed, arranged, and put in water. Your host likely won’t have time to do these things while entertaining all the guests.
We welcome you to stop by Shotwell Floral for additional help choosing a host or hostess gift. Our florists can help you select a floral arrangement, potted plant, or centerpiece that your host will be sure to love.